3 Ingredients For a Clean & Green Laundry.

|
I'll tell you a secret.

I have only 3 ingredients that I use in my laundry.

All of them are cheap.

And none of them are found in the cleaning aisle of the supermarket...

1. White vinegar
2. Bicarbonate of soda (bicarb soda)
3. Lavender Oil. (Or eucalyptus oil)

I have a top-loading washing machine. I put vinegar in the "wash softener" compartment, sprinkle approx 1 - 2 tbsp of bi-carb soda on top of the clothes, and then add a couple of drops of water-soluble lavender oil to the clothes.

That's it.

For persistent stains, a paste made from bicarb soda and water, and dabbed onto the stain for a while before washing. Or simply leave the garment in the sun for an hour or two.

A couple of months ago, I was sorting out some boxes and discovered some brand-name wash softener and washing liquid that I had been given for free, and decided to "use them up".

The first thing I noticed, was the lint and gunk filter in my washing machine needed cleaning a lot more. Almost every wash. (With the vinegar and bi-carb, it only needed cleaning every couple of weeks.)

The other thing I noticed, but did not link to the change in washing liquids, was that we had a "flea problem". I started breaking out in "bites" all over, but most especially in the areas where the hem of my clothing sat. Around my ankles, around my hips, around my chest and around my wrists and hands.

I went on using my fancy-smelling wash liquids (being the frugal soul I am, I didn't want to waste them!), while cursing the "fleas" in our house. The salt-in-the-carpet trick did not seem to work on the "fleas", so I repeated another application of salt. Still I scratched. No-one else in the family seemed to be affected.

Thinking about it one day, I was pondering how it seemed to be linked to my clothes.

Ah. Lightbulb moment!

The change in washing liquid. Of course! Why didn't I think of it?! The "fleas" only arrived after I changed my washing liquid.

The vinegar, bi-carb soda and lavendar oil were promptly restored to their rightful place on the laundry shelf.

That was a week ago. Our "flea problem" seems to be on the mend, already...

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...